Fruška Gora is the oldest National Park in Serbia and the “home” of 17 monasteries, rich in architecture, treasures, frescoes and history. In addition, there are also Sremski Karlovci, a spiritual and educational centre of Serbs with a beautiful Baroque centre and Vrdnik spa with ethno village where you can enjoy in the beautiful forests of this Mt Athos of sorts.
The area of Fruška Gora has a significant concentration of attractive tourist resources, which include: spatial cultural-historical units, monastic complexes, famous places, and works with monumental and artistic properties, ethno heritage, events, and cultural institutions.
The Fruška Gora is characterized by the richness of nature: flora, fauna, landscapes, thermal springs – spas, lakes that represent the basis for tourism of particular interest (hiking, cyclo-tourism, observation of rare plant species and birds (bird watching, fishing, and hunting), but also for recreational and excursion programs, schools in nature, nautical, health-spa / wellness tourism. Fruška Gora vineyards develop on the fertile slopes of Fruška Gora, and local wines are all over Europe – from the Vienna Palace to the English taverns.
THE NOVO HOPOVO MONASTERY
The Novo Hopovo Monastery belongs to the Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church of Srem and represents an immovable cultural asset as a cultural monument of exceptional significance. The monastery is located on a mild southern slope of Fruška gora, not far from Irig. This monastery with the church of St. Nicholas with its architectural value is the most important sacred structure of its era in this region. The first written mention of the monastery dates from 1451. The present church was erected in 1575/76, and the belfry with a small chapel on the first floor dedicated to St. Stefan, was built in 1751/58. The monastery buildings were built gradually from 1728 to 1771, surrounding the church on all four sides. Hopovo fresco painting is one of the most significant in the Balkan art. The iconostasis icons were done by Teodor Kračun.
THE VRDNIK MONASTERY
The Vrdnik Monastery is located in Vrdnik known for its spa centre, on the southern slopes of Fruška Gora. This is the only Fruška Gora monastery located in a populated place. It is believed it was erected during the 16th century. It was not well known until the monks of the monastery of Ravanica settled there fleeing from the Turks during the Great Migration of the Serbs. They built the church and dedicated it to the Rapture of Christ, and since then, this monastery is called the Mala Ravanica. They brought with them the relics of Prince Lazar which remained there until 1942, when they were moved to the Cathedral Church in Belgrade, and returned to their endowment. Today, the monastery is in the care of nuns, and the monastery lodgings are one of the most beautiful in Fruška Gora. In the Second World War, the monastery did not suffer major damage, but precious items from the monastery treasury were stolen, which were later returned to the SOC museum in Belgrade.
THE MALA REMETA MONASTERY
The Monastery of Mala Remeta or Remetica is located on the southern slopes of Fruška Gora. It is located in a village that is also called Mala Remeta. The monastery was founded by King Dragutin Nemanjić and is dedicated to the feast of the Intercession of the Theotokos. Today this is an active women’s monastery. The Monastery of Mala Remeta represents immovable cultural asset as a cultural monument of exceptional significance. The basis of the church is in the form of a cross, built in the Serbian-Byzantine style. It was built of grey-blue stone and brick. Particularly interesting is the dome, which is not shaped like in most churches, but is narrowed at the top. At the top of the dome is a cross, and the Little Remeta does not have a belfry, so the bell is located in front of the church on wooden pillars. Within the monastery complex there is lodging and a small chapel dedicated to St. Ilija. There are two valuable books kept in the monastery dating back to the seventeenth century. These are manuscripts from the Rača monastery.
VRDNIK TOWER ETHNO VILLAGE
The ethno-settlement Vrdnik Tower is located at the very border with the National Park, isolated from the city hustle and bustle. This complex was named after the 12th century building, the Vrdnik Tower, which was built during the Roman rule in this region. The ethno village consists of restaurants, wine cellars and bungalows for accommodation of guests. The bungalows are luxuriously furnished and built of natural materials (wood, stone). The ethno complex is connected to the Premier Aqua Hotel by the “health path” 2 km long, where visitors can enjoy the clean air and the beauty of Fruška Gora.
Deurić winery is located in the town of Mala Remeta, on the southern slopes of Fruška Gora, near the Vrdnik spa. The vineyards of the Deurić winery span 14 ha. Only grapes from their own vineyards are used for the production of high-quality wines, with the consultations by an oenologist team from France. There are two labels on the market Taras Red and Taras White, Enigma, Avangarda. In addition to a winery with a capacity of 150,000 litres, the complex also has a tasting hall, a restaurant, a couple of apartments. Visiting this winery is an unforgettable experience, with the opportunity to taste wine and spicy specialties, walk the health paths through centuries-old linden forest, and take part in the daily work in the vineyards.
THE FRUŠKOGORSKA LUGARNICA
The Fruškogorska Lugarnica is a restaurant – lodging, located in the settlement of Mala Remeta, near the Vrdnik spa. This facility is ideal for family breaks, escape from city noise and enjoyment in absolute peace and quiet. Lugarnica has two apartments and two rooms. Also within the facility is a restaurant that seats 50 people, a summer house and a wine cellar. The specialty of the house is game, prepared in a special and unique way, of course, there are grilled dishes and homemade Srem region products. Friendly hosts will be happy to organize trips in nature, driving jeeps, chariots, horseback riding…