Titel is old settlement, with Bač the oldest settlement in Bačka. Because of its position with the hill above the long plain and rivers that surround it (Tisa, Danube, Begej), Titel always was interesting for settlement.
Long time ago there lived Dačani, and then the Celts. At the beginning of new era, the space which was inhabited by Dačani and Scordics, was inhabited by Sarmat tribal Jazigi. The first written Roman monuments we found in the ruins on Titel hill from the end of the 1st century AD. The Romans built their settlement, whose remains will be finally taken in 1790. when the settlers from the Belgrade direction made their settlement and used the material of the old Roman walls.
On the territory of Titel, during the centuries, there were many settlers from Mongol tribal Huns, Avars, Bulgarians, Germanic tribal, Goths, Gepids and Slovene.
The Hungarians started inhabiting the territory at the end of IX century and in the middle of X century they were ruling the territory around the mouth of Tisa and Danube. At the end of the XI century the Hungarian King Laslo I founded the Avgustin monastery in Titel which marks the new period in Titel developing. This very rich monastery was very famous in Hungaria, and his head monks were very close to the King for the decades, they even had some functions. In the middle of Xii century it was written that there were many people in Titel and that its inhabitants are big landlords and are very rich. Since the end of the XIV century the Titel capitol was the biggest landlord in the south part of Bačka. Around 1440. Titel a part of land that beloged to Đurađ Branković, which he got as the Hungarian feud.
Because there was constant danger of the Turks, the Cardinal Toma Bakač, in 1500. enlarges the fortress around the city. After Belgrade was conquered by the Turks (1521) the strategic importance of Titel Fortress was very big, it was the most important for the protection of south border. However, in March, 1526. the city was conquered by the Turks. As the Hungarians left the settlement in fron of the Turks, the monastery was left empty. Since 1541. Title is the headquarter to Segedin sanjak.
Valuable facts about the settlement during the Turk occupation gives Evlija Čelebija, who wrote that in Titel at the beginning of XVII century there are three mosques, two tekyes, three Muslim schools and four schools for getting the primary education. There was also one hamame , very large street, the market with 70 shops and hans as well as 300 warehouses for the salt. Tital was ruled by the Turks until 1688. and not until 1699. when there was the Karlovac peace agreement signed, Titel went under the rule of Austrians then again Turks and so on. In that bettles the Belgrade Džafer – Paša burnt the city in 1695., killing the thousand Serbian solders who were protecting the city, with their officer Stefan Prodan Šteta. There is na interesting fact that the solders were in the ground houses around the fortress. Considering the position and importance of the fortress, the Turks by the Karlovac peace agreement (1699) strictly asked that fortress can not be rebuild, so its remains are very small today.
After signing the Karlovac peace agreement in 1699., Austria formed Podunavska, Potiska and Pomoriška military border.
Until 1747. Titel was in Podunavska military border, and then shortly in Potiska. When Potiska and Pomoriška military borders were left without army it entered the Potiski district, whose headquarters was in Bečej. 1763. Titel becomes the headquarters of Šajkaška battalion, which consisted of except title citizens, 13 border line solders of the near by settlements. The area between Danube, Tisa and Great Channel, to Temerin and Nadalj got the name Šajkaška. The first battalion commander was Serbian Aron Stanisavljević. The main tasks of the solders were regulated by the special act, so-called Regulament. The soldiers were obliged according to the Emperor orders do the solder tasks in war and peace, on ground or water, to take care of the security on Danube, Tisa and Sava and to protect the inhabitants of robbers. Every spring all the solders were coming to Titel for the practice which lasted a week.
The new status of the settlement made a change in the building corpus. Most of the public objects and houses were ruined during the Austrian – Turk wars. In Titel, the headquarters of the military battalion, according to the records of Franc Engel in 1786., there was 176 border solders houses which were partly built by earth, and partly by bricks. It was said that Titel was built properly and that it had Serbian (Ilir) school, orthodox church and priests home, catholic chapel, captains homes, battalion surgeon, economic office, old main guard office, restaurant, butcher, six state wells, rifle shop, warehouse for the pontoons and boats. In the documents there is a word about the pontoon which was driving people across Tisa to Banat.
Titel was the part of the battalion until 1873., when it was left without the military and entered the Bač- Bodrog rectory. The territory of the battalion was divided on Titel and Žabalj community. The new way of life organization on this territory started. In the second half of the XIX century to the First world War nad between the wars, in Titel was recorded building crafts and it left valuable monuments as the document of developed social, cultural and religious life.
Settled places of Titel community are Vilovo, Gardinovci, Lok, Mošorin, Titel and Šajkaš.